Friday, December 19, 2008

Tales of a New Dad

Matt loves being a Dad, but is having a hard time adjusting. Here are a few stories of his first week of Daddyhood.
While we were pregnant Matt kept laughing at the thought of me having to get up with a baby during the night. I LOVE my sleep, and don't wake easily. Matt on the otherhand is a night person. We have said this whole time that Matt would be up with the baby at night to bring him to me to feed so that I can get my sleep. This hasn't worked out so well.
We spent Parker's first night in the hospital so Matt slept on a pull our sofa in the hospital room. During the night Parker had a fussy period. He woke up at 11pm to eat and couldn't go back to sleep. By 2 am I was ready to call it a night, but had tried all the tricks I knew and decided to get a pacifier from the hospital to see if that would help. I woke Matt to have him get a pacifier from a nurse. Matt sat up, put his shoes and hat on, and then laid back down and fell asleep. I woke him up again and he sat up, and fell asleep sitting up. The third time I woke him up he did make it to the hallway, but didn't see a nurse so he came back in and went to sleep. I eventually pushed the nurse call button and had them bring one in, but Parker was asleep before they arrived.
Our first night home Parker slept in his bassinet by my side of the bed. That made it hard for Matt to be part of the nighttime routine, so the second night we moved the bassinet to the foot of the bed so that Matt would be able to wake to Parker's cries and bring him to me, and then change him and put him back to bed when he was done eating. Matt knew that he would have a hard time hearing the baby so he actually slept with his head at the foot of the bed, but that still didn't work. I would wake up to Parker's cries and then have to wake Matt up. After that, we decided that it may be best if I am in charge of the nightime duty.
Now, keep in mind the next stories are after I had taken over nighttimes :)
We were supposed to go to my Grandma's house to pick up a roast, but I wasn't feeling up to it so Matt took Parker while I stayed home. Matt got to Grandma's, handed her the baby, and then fell asleep on her couch.
Now this is the funniest story of all. Yesterday was Matt's first day back to work, and he had to work at the Gilbert office which is more formal than the Tucson office. Matt called me at 3:30 pm to tell me he had just realized that he had worn his shirt inside out the whole day. And if that wasn't funny enough, when he got home his shirt was still inside out!! If you click on the picture above you will see the seams on the outside. He said that the day as almost over so he didn't feel like changing it.

1 comment:

megan said...

lol, that is too funny! zack was the same way, so don't worry.. i think all men are :) they adjust (eventually). can't wait to see you all!