Tuesday, August 5, 2008

21 Weeks and counting......

Week 21 Stats: My Weight: 165 (YIKES!!!!!!) Weight Gain: 18 or so pounds Baby's weight: 13 oz last monday Baby's Length: 10 1/2 inches Baby's Heartbeat: 150 bpm (higher when it's moving) I love being pregnant, I love my "little" belly, I HATE looking at that scale. Talking about the weight gain during pregnancy is one thing, gaining the weight is completely different and now I'm scared. I don't want to gain so much I look like a beached whale, and I want to be able to loose it when the baby's born. Overall I eat very well. I crave salads and veggies and eat a lot of fruit. I've never been big on milk, but I've tried to make sure and drink some everyday. I eat cereal for breakfast and really only drink water. I've even done better at making it to the gym and working out. I do have my moments ( I'll explain later), but I hope that in the end I can maintain a healthy diet and that my weight stays manageable. On to our centering appointment yesterday. It was pretty fun. There are 9 couples signed up for the class, and 6 couples showed up yesterday. We meet every 4 weeks until September 29th, and we meet every 2 weeks until delivery. At the beginning you pick up your own chart and take your own weight and blood pressure. We meet in the lobby of the birth center and there is a mat set up for the belly checks in the corner. The midwife does some belly checks at the beginning while everyone is chit chatting, and then the rest on break. We had the first belly check last night. I lay on the mat and the midwife first listens to the heartbeat and checks the belly and then goes over the chart for weight gain and blood pressure. The baby was VERY active yesterday. The midwife had to chase the baby to find the heartbeat. We could also hear when the baby was moving and you could hear the heartbeat increase when it was moving and then back to around 15o when it stopped. Afterwards we sit down and have a "discussion" type of class. There is also a nurse there to help with the classes. During the class we will cover all the topics in childbirth education. Last night was "common discomforts in pregnancy". Ha ha ha!!! OK, back to food and weight gain. As I said I eat a lot of veggies. Last night I was craving veggies so I had a really good salad and some cottage cheese for dinner. Later, after the class I was hungry and really felt I needed some protien. We stopped at the Burger King drive-thru and I had a Whopper Jr. It was REALLY GOOD!!! ...but not enough to fill me up. We made it another 10 miles before I had to stop at McDonalds for a double cheesburger. Matt thought it was funny and was laughing at me. I thought that was ironic since he ordreded another one too!!!! The McDonalds people thought it was funny to see the Burger King bag still on his lap. As I said, I have my moments :)

No comments: